Friday, October 9, 2009

All You Need Is Faith

Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom is a touching tribute to a man I would love to have met. An elderly rabbi, Albert Lewis, who loved to sing and joke almost as much as he loved talking with God.

From his standard answer to the question 'how are you?' - singing "The old gray rabbi,/ain't what he used to be,/ain't what he used to be..." - I knew I liked this man. It didn't hurt that my grandmother used to answer that question almost the same way: just substitute mare for rabbi and she for he. That song makes me giggle. It always has.

This thin volume (just under 250 pages) highlights the importance of faith. Faith can sustain you through the most trying times as well as move you in the good times. The former played a much larger role in the book.

Not only is this book a tribute to Lewis, Albom's childhood rabbi, it also tells the story of another Man of God: a Christian preacher named Henry Covington. Albom relates his own struggles with religion, intertwining them with those of the two Men of God.

Those two men share an incredible faith. Despite the bad things in their lives, or perhaps because of them, they have retained their faith. They may not call Him by the same name, or observe the same rituals, but both were moved by a higher power. Both serve a higher power. God, Yahweh, Allah. His name is not important. What is important is to know that He is there.

Have faith.

Faith will lead you through the hard times. Faith will make you stronger.

That is the central theme of this book. Do I agree with it? Yes, with some modifications.

I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died on the cross so that I might be saved. Yes, faith is important. However, knowing what you believe - what it is that you have faith in - is even more important.

I finished reading this book in a single night, just under four hours. It gave me a lot to think about. I have since done a lot of praying and examining of my own beliefs. If anything, this book has served to strengthen my beliefs.

And my faith.

---------------------------------

Source: I read this book when I worked at Waldenbooks. It was checked out from the store under the employee books on loan program.

Where to Buy:Borders, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million

No comments:

Post a Comment