Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dreamscapes

Since the age of eight, Janie Hannagan has been sucked into other people's dreams. An unwitting voyeur to the dreams of her fellow high schoolers, she often ended the day more drained than she'd started it. Year after year, she endures this punishment to both mind and body, knowing there must be a reason for her to have this ability. This curse, as she calls it.

Finally, at the age of seventeen - after nine years of being drawn into the dreams and nightmares of others - she meets another with the same ability. Old Miss Stubin, a resident of the nursing home where Janie works evenings and weekends. Now at an advanced age, hovering on the brink of death, Miss Stubin has long sought another 'dream catcher' to follow in her footsteps. Janie is the first one she has met in many years, the first she believes capable of handling the truth of being a dream catcher.

Can Janie handle being a true dream catcher?

I wish I knew. So far, though Wake and its sequel Fade, both by Lisa McMann, she does fairly well. As well as can be expected for a seventeen-to-eighteen year old, anyway. She also had to get through high school intact, which is hard enough by itself.

Sadly, I have not yet been able to read the finally book in this trilogy, Gone, out earlier this month. It should answer the above question. Even if it doesn't, I'll be happy as long as it has the same intensity of the first two. At 200 to 250 pages, Wake and Fade packed a huge punch for their size. I was pulled into the story from the very first page.

I love books that do that.

----------------------------

Source: Wake: Free e-book give away hosted by the publisher at the end of 2009.
Fade: Checked out from the local library.

Where to Buy: Wake: Borders, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million
Fade: Borders, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million

3 comments:

  1. I have this book sitting on my to-read pile. The premise immediately caught my eye, since my next book Dreamers Come (released 2012) also features dreams, though in a different light. Glad to hear you enjoyed this. Looking forward to reading it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I saw this in the store and really wanted to read it. Now that I know you like it, I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K.M. and Judith -

    These books are wonderful. I'm waiting (rather impatiently) for my local library to get in a copy of "Gone" so I can read it as well.

    Hope you both enjoy them! ^_^

    ReplyDelete