Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Not Your Father's Elves

I don't read military fantasy. I've never been so glad to have made an exception.

From the first chapters, I loved the main characters: Konowa Swift Dragon and Visyna Tekoy. Between their rather obvious attraction to each other and ongoing verbal sparring, I often forgot I was reading military fantasy.

Then Yimt, the sole dwarf, would come onto the scene and remind me again. I think he's my favorite character. I adore him, even with his inapproriate ways. Maybe because of them.

Though the books are called the Iron Elves series, they have few actual elves in them. Most of the characters are human, with only two members of the Iron Elves regiment being actual elves.

Throughout both A Darkness Forged in Fire and The Light of Burning Shadows, both by Chris Evans, the three characters named above kept me hooked. The action didn't hurt. A good bit of fighting, lots of character interactions, lots of colorful characters, and maybe a hint of romance are what you have to look forward to in these books. Both are good reads, though not necessarily quick ones. The prose is gorgeous and poetic.

My only complaint is the relatively short length of book two. Hopefully, the third Iron Elves book - due summer 2010 - will be longer. Please?

------------------------------------

Source: I own A Darkness Forged in Fire in paperback. The Light of Burning Shadows was checked out from the local library.

Where to Buy: Darkness: Borders, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million
Light: Borders, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million

No comments:

Post a Comment