Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Charmed, I'm Sure

Summary: Greiman combines historical and paranormal elements in this wonderfully sweet romance.

For those of you who don't know me, I adore the paranormal. Any aspect, from magic to shape-shifters, make a book more likely to appeal. I also love historical romance. The first romance book I ever read was historical. When I started reading paranormal romances several years ago, I stopped reading historicals. Until I discovered the historical paranormal subgenre. It's like these books were made for me. I love them.

Charming the Devil is the first romance I've read by Lois Greiman, but it won't be the last. I've fallen in love with this world she's created.

The paranormal elements in this book are small, but play a necessary part in the plot. Faye Nettles is a new witch, unsure of her own abilities. She knows she possesses some small powers, but not what she can do with them. Not even what her abilities entail.

At the start of the book, she is charged with a mission. She is to look into the death of one Lord Brendier. Her first task is to investigate Rogan McBain and his possible involvement.

But McBain reminds her of a tormentor from her past. He has the same tall, muscular build. The same grace and speed of movement. He terrifies her. So much so that she sends a flowerpot careening into his face when he rescues her from an overeager admirer at a party.

Not on purpose, mind you. You see, in addition to not knowing what powers she has, she can't always control them.

The other ladies of Lavender House - the home for witches where she currently resides - convince her to apologize to the man. She does still need to investigate him, after all.

And so, early the next morning, before the rest of the ton is even awake, he finds her on his doorstep. Scared, but ready to apologize.

They meet several more times under unusual circumstances - only at one other party - in the course of getting to know each other. Faye has to hide behind her false identity, concocted to protect her by the inhabitants of Lavender House, though she desperately wants to tell him the truth. For quite a while, she addresses him by his surname to keep distance between them. Until her attraction grows too strong to fight.

I can't really say much more without giving too much away. They do have a happy ending - natch. The journey was entertaining. I giggled several times. I nearly cried when they finally did get it together.

------------------------------------

Rating: 8 out of 10 (Very good. Highly recommend.)

Heat Level: 2.5 (Mild, bordering on Sensual)

------------------------------------

Source: I was given this book to review by The Season. This my first book review for The Season, hence the altered format. This review also appears here: http://historicalromancereleases.com/wordpress/2010/04/review-charming-the-devil/

Where to Buy: Borders, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million

1 comment:

  1. wow great review! i'd never heard of the book before!!

    thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete