Thursday, August 19, 2010

Review: The Luxe (Luxe, #1)

I apologize for my absence these two weeks. I had reviewer's block (A type of writer's block that applies only to reviewers.) Then a family get-together this past weekend, which was awesome. Turns out my niece from Florida loves to read as much as I do! (She let me borrow Witch & Wizard, which I devoured.) ^_^

Now for the reason you came here, the review!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
Anna Godbersen

Release Date:
20 November 2007
Genre: Historical Romance (Young Adult)
Rating: 7/10
Source: Library
Buy the Book: Borders ~ Barnes & Noble ~ Books-A-Million
Content Warning: Implied Sex (Fade to black), Light Petting

The beautiful young Holland sisters, Elizabeth and Diana, rule Manhattan society. Or so it appears. When they discover their status is far from secure, everyone—from the ambitious socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor, Henry Schoonmaker, to the Holland's dour maid, Lina Broud—threatens the girls' golden future. When Elizabeth's carriage overturns near the East River, her glittering life, well-known for lighting up the city's gossip pages, is swallowed by the rough current. Then the question on everyone's lips is this: Who will take Elizabeth's enviable place?


Blurb from book website.

From reading the book blurb, I wasn't sure I would like this. It sounded rather shallow to be honest. Which made me wonder why the series has so many fans. (Including the manager I worked under at Waldenbooks before the store closed.)

Then I read the first few chapters. I understood. It wasn't shallow at all. Just like the main character, Elizabeth Holland, both she and the book appear shallow on the outside. On the inside, however, completely not shallow - deep. Much deeper than I expected.

I felt I understood why Elizabeth acted so perfect in public, following all of society's rules. She felt she had to, to protect her family. Her family meant so much to her she had to protect them. Had to care for them as they cared for her. In doing so, she went so far as to accept a proposal from a man she detested.

Now that takes strength.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed reading it. So much so that I'm looking for ward to the rest of the series. (And Miss Godbersen's next series - set in the 1920s Jazz Age.)

No comments:

Post a Comment