Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2011 Reading Challenges

Fair warning: This will be a long post. Maybe not to start, but as the year progresses, it will get longer and longer.

In 2010, I only participated in one reading challenge: 2010 Support Your Local Library Challenge. My goal was to read 50 library books over the course of the year. I read 57. This year, I am going to concentrate on reading more of the books I already own. BUT, I am still going to attempt this challenge. Just not at the 50 books level.

I'm also doing five (or 7!) other reading challenges. Since each allows overlap with the others, this should be easily obtainable. Each challenge will have a list of books read - or to be read - below the name and challenge details. Books not yet completed will be in black, while those completed will be red.

In no particular order, here are the reading challenges I am attempting in 2011:


Literary Escapism's New Author Challenge 2011

I will be reading (at least) 15 new-to-me authors to fulfill this challenge. (Fiction)

Progress: 8/15
1. Personal Demons - Lisa Desrochers (YA; 2010; US)
2. The Virtual Life of Fizzy Oceans - David A. Ross (dystopian; 2011; US)
3. Make Me Remember - Emma Petersen (Paranormal Romance; 2010; US)
4. Lament - Maggie Stiefvater (YA; 2008; US)
5. Kiss at Your Own Risk - Stephanie Rowe (Paranormal Romance; 2011; US)
6. A Victorian Rose - Catherine Palmer (Christian Romance; 2002; US)
7. The Black Widow Trainer - Craig Odanovich (Erotic Adventure; 2011; US)
8. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith (Historical Paranormal; 2010; US)
9. Inside Out - Maria V. Snyder (YA; 2010: US)
10. The Sex Club - L.J. Sellers (mystery/thriller; 2007; US)


Into the Old World Reading Challenge

This challenge is for books published before 2009. Though there are no set goals, my personal goal is to read at least 15 such books. (All genres)

Progress: 7/15
1. Taking Charge of Your Fertility - Toni Weschler (non-fiction; 1995; US)
2. Phaidon Guide to Antique Weapons and Armours - Robert Wilkinson-Latham (non-fiction; 1981; UK)
3. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2) - John Flannagan (YA; 2007; Australia)
4. The Sex Club - L.J. Sellers (mystery/thriller; 2007; US)
5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl (MG; 1964; UK)
6. Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing - Mignon Fogarty (non-fiction; 2008; US)
7. An Unquiet Mind - Kay Redfield Jamison (Memoir; 1995; US)
8. Lament - Maggie Stiefvater (YA; 2008;US)
9. Amazonia - James Rollins (thriller; 2007; US)


Larrisa's Bookish Life's International Reading Challenge 2011

The goal of this challenge is to read books published internationally. I will be participating at the "Local" level: 5 - 10 books. I imagine most of the books I read have been or will be published internationally. However, I am only going to count those books initially published outside of the United States. (All genres)

Progress: 1/5
1. Phaidon Guide to Antique Weapons and Armours - Robert Wilkinson-Latham (non-fiction; 1981; UK)
2. The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2) - John Flannagan (YA; 2007; Australia)
3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl (MG; 1964; UK)


Home Girl's Book Blog's 2011 Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge

I am going to attempt to read 25 books from my local library. (All genres)

Progress: 5/25
1. Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) - Kristin Cashore (YA; 2009; US)
2. Taking Charge of Your Fertility - Toni Weschler (non-fiction; 1995; US)
3. Phaidon Guide to Antique Weapons and Armours - Rick (non-fiction; 1981; UK)
4. An Unquiet Mind - Kay Redfield Jamison (memoir; 1995; US)
5. Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2) - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (YA: 2010; US)
6. Lament - Maggie Stiefvater (YA; 2008;US)


Book Chick City's Mystery & Suspense Reading Challenge 2011

The goal is to read 12 mystery and suspense novels this year. These novels can come from any of the multitude of mystery and suspense subgenres. (Mystery/Suspense)

Progress: 0/12
1. The Sex Club - L.J. Sellers (mystery/thriller; 2007; US)
2. Amazonia - James Rollins (thriller; 2007; US)


I'm also considering two more challenges, both hosted by Book Chick City: The 2011 Stephen King Challenge and The Horror and Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2011. I would be reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series for both (which would complete the first and put me a good way towards the second). I think I will wait and decide after I try to read the first book in the series (which I will be getting from the library). ^_^

3 comments:

  1. I love it that The Sex Club fits nicely into several of your reading challenges. I hope you enjoy it. My challenge this year is to read a book a week and to try many new authors.
    L.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss L.J. -

    I'm excited to finally be reading it, since I've had it for a while...

    Your challenge should certainly be doable, even with writing and editing fulltime. Best of luck to you!

    ^_^
    TL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a “Gator Battle Award” on Gini Koch’s web site. You can see the details here: http://ginikoch.com/winstuff.htm

    :-) Hope all is well with you…

    ReplyDelete